Saturday, September 11, 2010

Argue

When Marty first introduced this assignment I was excited to play with a word and see how well I could portray it without illustrating. Seeing the examples boosted my excitement level because I wanted to make something just as great.

When that little plastic bag with the letters in it came my way I was hoping for a energetic word. I pulled the word "argue". Wasn't exactly energetic but it had personality. I don't argue much so I wasn't sure if it was the right word for me, but i had to make it work. Sketching and exploring the possibilities of my word led to the realization that this word was not a problem. My approach was figuring out how I defined "argue" based on my experiences. I thought of children fighting and bickering and sketched a few ideas based on that definition. Then I looked up the word in the dictionary:

argue |ˈärgyoō|
verb ( -gues , -gued , -guing )
1 [ reporting verb ] give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory, typically with the aim of persuading others to share one's view
2 [ intrans. ] exchange or express diverging or opposite views, typically in a heated or angry way

This definitely helped me broaden my perspective of the word, but in the end I chose to represent the word as I saw it. I felt that the letters in the word needed to be arguing with one another in pairs. The best way to communicate that was to have the first two letters and the last two letters of the word in a moment of aggression, while the letter in the middle provided the starting point where the letters first began, but then escalated to a jumbled mess.



I was very pleased with my final composition. I did have some trouble figuring out how to perfect the quality of the black letters and creating clean lines on the letter forms using the photocopying machine. But this assignment has prepared me for the nine words in our next assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment