Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Web is 95% Typography

This article argues that web designers should take the time to master typography since the internet is primarily text. In the past, the internet has been known for producing some rather unattractive and sometimes difficult websites to get through. But even though the site may have some rather painful design systems, the problem to focus on is the reading experience. Extra wide body copy, difficult navigation, overwhelming clutter seems to occur on the web more often that it should. In my experience, looking at this without any design knowledge, I didn't even know that these were issues. I thought that extra wide body copy and no clear hierarchy was just how information was presented. I figured that I just had to adjust to whatever was on my screen. This is what I feel is part of the problem. Users may not know that there is a problem partly because they don't know that there are rules for proper typography. In order to identify a problem, you have to know that there is a solution available.

No comments:

Post a Comment