Friday, March 11, 2011

Final Icons

 

Final Icons
 

With my icons I wanted reflect my culture of the Catholic church by creating icons that reflected the ornate feel of Catholic artifacts and showcase a form that appears to be complex, yet constructed in a very simple way. One of the more difficult parts of creating these icons was translating such ornamented objects into simplified forms that communicated well. Reflecting on the process, I feel that by simply tracing each object's geometric form and allowing that to be my base was most helpful. By doing so I was able to build and add on to that basic form. By applying a scalloped pattern into my icons the idea of ornateness communicates well, but it also speaks of the Catholic religion itself. This religion is composed of many small, specific details that add up to the religion in it's entirety. For instance, the number of times a certain prayer is recited, or the way that the eucharist is taken from the priest and placed in ones mouth, or the way that the holy water is pinched from the stoup; every ritual is very specific. I chose to use a single line because although the Catholic faith is very complex and has many rules at the end of the day, this religion comes down to one factor: faith.

1 comment: