Monday, February 07, 2011

Experimental typography. Whatever that means.

This reading offered me new insight on what experimenting means and how we are not fully exercising the action that is experimenting. I considered experimenting as doing the opposite of what is expected, as mentioned in the reading, but never stopped to consider that going completely against the grain is not always the best thing to do. By doing the complete opposite of a convention I would only be reaching one solution and limiting my vision to that one solution. If I were to look to the left, to the right, above, and below the conventions, I would be sure to find a solution that would have been missed because lack of experimentation.

This is something that I find difficult to do. I'm not sure if it's the fear of failure or if it's simply the difficulty of breaking habits. Additionally, I found the comparison between linguists and typographers to be one of the most interesting parts of the reading. Linguists master the sounds of the language, while the typographer masters communicating it visually.

No comments:

Post a Comment