Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Typeface


The film, Typeface, was informative. It offered information on the art of wood type and how it is slowly dying. The film mainly focused on the identity of the Hamilton wood type museum and it's role on the lives of the people who worked there. This was one of my favorite elements of the film; a closer look at the lives of the people who are keeping such an art form alive.  At the same time, this is also what I found to be most depressing.  There are so many efforts and sacrifices made by so many people in attempt to keeping this art form from becoming extinct.  It left the question of "is it worth it?" lingering in my mind. Should we allow wood type become a part of the history that defines today's standards?

Initially, I thought this film was going to be about the history of typeface as a whole and how it is changing, a similar feeling to that of Helvetica.  At first, I responded negatively to the film because it was not what I was expecting, but in retrospect, and in accepting the film for what it was, I enjoy the ideas it brought to my attention. The film brought an element of concern, not only for the printing press, but for the effect it has on the people trying to keep it from drowning. And to answer the question of whether or not fighting for the life of wood type, I absolutely believe it's worth it.

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how our reactions to things change when we take some time to reflect. I'm glad you included your range of responses in this post.

    ReplyDelete